Ottawa is a city that reflects the country’s beauty, celebrates its diversity, embodies its spirit and tells its stories like no other. Located at the confluence of three rivers, Ottawa is home to one million residents who are proud of their hometown and welcome people in English, French, Indigenous languages and many more from around the world.
The city’s urban landscape reveals the stories of Canada around every corner, at historic and national sites, monuments and cultural institutions. It’s a city that knows how to celebrate, with annual festivals devoted to things near and dear to the hearts of Canadians, including music, arts, food and drink, and the diverse cultural communities that call Ottawa and Canada home.
Unique among G7 capitals, Ottawa is equal parts urban and rural, a vibrant city on the edge of nature, offering boundless opportunities for adventure and recreation in the great outdoors. Ottawa is, in so many ways, Canada in one city.
Ottawa is a highly experienced and accomplished host destination for important national and international gatherings and business events. It literally puts conventions on a national and international stage.
For meeting planners
- Ottawa is a destination that is accessible, with an award-winning airport with direct connections to all major Canadian cities, to major U.S. hubs, plus London and Frankfurt. The airport is a 15-minute drive to downtown–and will soon be connected to downtown via light rail transit.
- Ottawa is home to Shaw Centre, the city’s premier, state-of-the-art convention venue located in the heart of downtown next to the Rideau Canal UNESCO World Heritage Site and within easy walking distance of over 6000 hotel rooms.
- Ottawa’s national museums and National Arts Centre offer grand public spaces for unique off-site receptions, galas, and events. These include museums devoted to history, art, nature, science, and technology, aviation and space, military history, agriculture, and food.
- Ottawa is home to a diverse and experienced accommodations sector that includes major international hotel brands and unique boutique and local properties to meet every need and budget.
- Ottawa provides ready access to national policy-makers, the international diplomatic community, national associations, and subject matter experts from a wide variety of fields including life sciences, aerospace, and defense, engineering, technology, and innovation–in fact, Ottawa is one of Canada’s leading technology hubs, with both international tech giants and local start-ups.
- Ottawa offers unparalleled opportunities to connect with Canada, at national museums, plus at national sites and landmarks including Parliament Hill.
- Ottawa offers unique urban experiences, including a surprisingly diverse culinary scene, excellent craft beers, and nightlife that ranges from the performing arts to live music venues, casinos, and relaxed patios and pubs.
- For delegates into recreation and adventure, Ottawa is a must-do destination, offering year-round opportunities for fun in the great outdoors, including skating on the world’s largest rink, the Rideau Canal Skateway; cross-country skiing in the heart of downtown and downhill skiing minutes away in the Gatineau Hills; over 800 kilometers of cycling trails and mountain biking; paddling; white water rafting; ziplining; and Canada’s highest bungee jump.
- And Ottawa is a city of celebration, with annual festivals spanning the seasons, from Winterlude through the Canadian Tulip Festival.
Ottawa Tourism works with planners to coordinate bid preparation, to assist with attendance promotion and development, and to provide a wide range of complimentary convention services on the ground. For delegates, we provide an Insider’s Badge that offers discounts on admission to a wide range of attractions, sightseeing and more.
For more information contact:
Theresa Gatto, CMP
Manager, Business Events
Tel: 1-613-237-5150 x 1103